According to a recent survey conducted by ING Direct and Capital One Banks, the verdict is in: women own too many shoes. The average woman spends an alarming $1,800 – $4,800 on clothing and accessories a year. An even more surprising study shows that women are only wearing a quarter of the shoes they’re emptying their wallets on. Polling from 2,352 women over the age of 18, the average women owns 20 pairs of shoes, but most of that footwear stays unworn. So why are smart, savvy consumers keeping their extensive shoe game hidden? One reason could be styling issues.
Styling this year’s trendiest footwear can be tricky. We may be purchasing the latest boot craze, but we aren’t always sure what to do with it. As a result, the dynamic duo, jeans and boots, turns into an almost daily routine. A reoccurring theme in fashion this season is that boots can be worn with almost anything. Just pay attention to hemlines.
Western-style boots are taking over the shoe game this season. These boots are standout pieces on their own, but pairing them can be challenging. When worn correctly, though, this intimidating footwear transforms everyday clothing into bold, fashion-forward outfits.
- Pair with both midi- and mini-length silhouettes.
- Enhance lightweight, loose-fitting garments with this season’s most coveted trend to achieve a new take on Bohemian Chic. A paisley print maxi or crochet mini adds feminine charm to the boot, playing with hard and soft materials and textures is always good choice.
- Cinch the waist of a short, baggy dress to compliment the western trend, crafting a bold fashion statement with the perfect silhouette.
Classic Knee-High Boots
Knee-highs are classic and versatile, form long, lean silhouettes and add allure to just about any outfit. A general rule for knees-highs is to pay attention to proportions and hemlines. The goal is to tease, show a little skin. We’re walking a fine line here ladies — keep it classy, not frumpy or racy. Knee-high boots add that extra something to an outfit, and they can transition from day to night effortlessly.
- Sweater dresses are a must-have for fall/winter. Style an oversized sweater dress with leather knee-highs for daytime and a form-fitting dress for the evening.
- Minis and knee-highs were made for each other. The look is sexy, promotes confidence, and demands attention. Try a monochromatic approach for a sophisticated, sexy street style.
- Opt for an A-line skirt in a flirty, floral print and brown leather knee-high riding boots.
Ankle boots go with any length of skirt or dress. From maxi to mini, ankle boots are always a yes.
- Achieve a chic, feminine look by combining leather ankle boots with a skater skirt, tights, and a cropped sweater.
- To add a little more edge, mix hard and soft elements. Try a Bohemian-inspired flirty print dress with sued or neutral-colored booties.
- Show off your sexy side in a tight mini and your pick of leather or suede booties.
When it comes to styling boots, the sky is the limit. Fashion is a form of self-expression, so have some fun with your looks — take some risks! Now go get those killer boots out of your closet and hit the street with style.